How DO we get our servers so fast?
- Quality hardware providers – fast machines, fast drives, abundant memory, low latency networks.
- Proven performance stacks – industry-leading web servers with all the fancy features. Our stack is optimized for performance, not resource-efficiency!
- Expert configurations – precisely tuned for applications, databases, and heavy load.
- Low server density – our servers are loaded very light, never to full capacity.
- Relaxed restrictions – relatively uncaged environments. More maintenance for us but more resources for you.
- Of course, there’s secret sauce—we can’t tell you everything we’re doing! 😉
That’s pretty much all there is to it. Expert configurations, generous resource allotments, and no cutting corners! We’re very proud of our performance and happy to see how surprised customers are.
We strive for as close to 100% uptime as possible. We’ve even had entire years go by without a single downtime. Honestly, it’s not that hard. We pick the most reliable hardware vendors in the industry and take great care in maintaining our servers. All changes and updates carefully logged, no rogue patching or risky updates in the middle of the business day!
Don’t get us wrong. Downtimes can (and do) happen. The difference is being proactive about it and staying transparent with our clients. We choose the best vendors, don’t overcrowd the server, and do our maintenance carefully. Any downtimes or issues will be noted on our blog! We promise not to ghost on your tickets and only to respond 2 days later with, “Everything fixed now. Try again.” We can’t sleep either when our servers are down.
Here are the only 4 downtime scenarios you’ll ever see from us:
- Routine maintenance – typical server maintenance occurring weekly or monthly with no downtimes at all! Usually done around late Friday night or early Sunday morning. Major security flaws are patched immediately. (Expected downtime: usually unnoticeable or up to a few minutes.)
- Hardware update – only happens every 3 to 5 years, servers are taken down for about 15 minutes while being upgraded to new hardware. You’ll have plenty of notice in advance and we try to do it during the lightest hours possible. In most cases, you won’t even notice.
- Hard drive failure – hard drives do fail sometimes (very rare). Not to worry, our physical machines have RAID setup and no information is ever lost. The system might be down for as much as 45 minutes while the hard drive is replaced.
- Datacenter power outage – unfortunate industry event that happens once every 5 years or so. It happens to even the biggest companies (Amazon, Facebook, etc). (Expected downtime: the very last one was about 45 minutes. The previous one was 10 years ago and about 2 hours.)
True website security is best done from the server! We follow standard security protocols and harden every layer. Encryption, firewalls, IP bans, we check all that. You can sleep in peace knowing we care just as much about security as you do.
- We run only updated software/modules. (No abandoned legacy junk!)
- Security patches are done on time.
- Servers are constantly monitored for attacks and quickly dealt with.
- We don’t allow hack magnets on our servers.
- Yes, our servers can by configured to be HIPAA compliant.
The last layer of security lies within you as well! Your software needs to stay updated so as not to allow any vulnerabilities. Your passwords should be reasonably difficult to guess. Basic common sense. If we see any potential issues with your sites, we’ll be sure to bark at you.
Our default control panel is cPanel. It really works! Easy-to-use, high-performance, compatible with Apache/htaccess, secure, and familiar for most people coming from shared hosting. We also have helpful documentation written out to help you manage most tasks on your own.
Do you prefer a LEMP stack or NGINX? We can offer that for our dedicated ULTRA-VPS plans.
Everyone hates getting unhelpful support. We hate it too, and won’t insult you with level 1 “script-readers”. All responses you get from us will be from someone who knows what’s going on.
All are clients are awesome, friendly, responsible business-owners! We vet all new accounts meticulously. No noisy tenants, resource hogs, spammers, illegal sites/activity, or hack magnets. No trouble-makers of any kind are allowed on our servers.
Things we don’t allow (but not excluded to):
- Resource hogs – heavy/poorly-coded plugins eating up CPU resources without any throttling.
- Spammers – sending out illegal emails or unwanted advertisements, and potentially getting our IP’s blacklisted.
- Hack magnets – anybody engaging in cyber-trolling or ego-battles with other techies. We are not here to fight your DDOS battles for you.
- Illegal activity – please don’t make us spell out all the nasties. (Illegal X-rated material, storing/distributing copyrighted material, illegal betting/gambling, sites promoting hate or unlawful/immoral behaviors, etc.)